The 8821-EX is specifically designed for workers whose roles are in more rigorous, industrial settings. Examples of ideal use cases include nurses and doctors in healthcare, operations and engineering staff in manufacturing, customer service representatives in retail, service staff such as maids in hospitality, and workers on rigs in the oil and chemical industries.
The 8821-EX builds upon all of the features offered by the Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821 and adds nonsparking support for temporary exposure within potentially combustible environments. It is certified for CSA Class I Division 2, as well as (pending) ATEX Zone 2 Group IIC. ATEX Zone 2 is defined as an area in which an explosive gas atmosphere is not likely to occur in normal operation and, if it does occur, is likely to do so only infrequently and will exist for a short period only (for example, less than 10 hours per year). Similarly, CSA Class I is a location where a quantity of flammable gas or vapor sufficient to produce an explosive or ignitable mixture may be present in the air. Division 2 is a location where a classified hazard does not normally exist but is possible under abnormal conditions. Zone 2 is an area in which an explosive gas atmosphere does not normally exist.
While the 8821-EX is sleek and lightweight, the design is hardened for users. It is Ingress Protection standard (IP67) rated for ordinary locations and is sealed for protection against dust, splash, and water. In addition, for use in hazardous locations, the phone has been certified to IP54. The device is also MIL-STD-810G tested, with a dozen drops onto concrete from heights of up to 5 feet (1.5m), to help ensure shock resistance and avoid breakage if dropped.
The 8821-EX enhances security and simplifies configuration management. Stronger encryption is supported for certificate management and policies enablement with the EX model’s support of Secure Hash Algorithm 2 (SHA-2). Simple Certificate Enrollment Protocol (SCEP) eases IT administration by enabling automatic certificate management on the device.
End users will enjoy a larger, higher-resolution color display and a user experience that is common with Cisco IP Phone 8800 Series desk phones. In addition, roaming between access points within the campus will support more seamless voice communications with the 8821-EX’s support of Fast Transition (802.11r). This protocol was specifically designed for mobile Voice over IP (VoIP) communications devices within Wi-Fi networks. Bluetooth is supported for the user’s choice of third-party wireless headsets and adds freedom by untethering the user from the handset.
The 8821-EX supports Cisco and third-party XML applications such as push-to-talk.
- ATEX Zone 2 Group IIC certification (pending)
- U.S. and Canada Class I Division 2 and Class I Zone 2 certification
- Industry-standard yellow styling offers fast recognition if an emergency occurs
- IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac radio for VoWLAN communications support
- The large 2.4-inch (6 cm) color (240 x 320 pixels) display makes viewing easy
- IP67 rated for protection against dust, splash, and water
- Compliant with MIL-STD-810G standard for shock resistance
- Offers exceptional voice quality with High-Definition (HD) voice
- Built-in full-duplex speakerphone offers high-quality hands-free communications
- Supports third-party Bluetooth 3.0 headsets and a 3.5-mm headphone jack for added freedom
- Applications key provides direct access to XML applications such as push-to-talk and Lone Worker
- Battery life delivers up to 9.5 hours of talk time
- Enhanced encryption support for SHA-1 and SHA-2 signatures
- Fast, secure roaming using 802.11r and Cisco Centralized Key Management roaming
- Automatic certificate renewal – SCEP support